I know this is the second week into the new year so maybe I am a little late posting about this, but better late than never, right? That’s my motto. Mostly because I find myself always running late and like to look at life as the glass half full. So 2017 is officially over and I find myself reflecting and honestly have no idea where time went. The year flew by. It was such an amazing year, filled with so many new and exciting opportunities. A year of discovering who I am and what I want to do with my life (side note, I still do not really know). It was a year filled with love, adventures, and many ups and downs. Right around Christmas time I had a ton of major changes start to happen in my life.These changes included starting a new job that became all consuming, nearing the end of a semester, and facing a major breakup. I lost the person that was my everything after being with him for almost two years. This was particularly difficult, especially with finals and Christmas being right around the corner. Usually Christmas is my very favorite time of the year, but this year was hard. It is hard to lose someone and I am going to write a full post just about this and how I am dealing with everything. I fully believe that everything happens for a reason and this year I am going to finally get to focus solely on myself and my goals. When you’re in a relationship it is easy to sometimes lose yourself in all the compromises that come with it. This is the year that I will finish my last semester before school teaching and will be graduated by 2019. I still have no idea how I want to spend the rest of my life, but I’ve recently learned that I do not have to know and that it is okay not to have a plan for everything. One of the biggest things that I am passionate about lately is traveling. There is nothing more that I want to do then just travel. I want to go anywhere and everywhere and discover and try new things. I am very much for staying in my comfort zone so this year I am pushing myself to do all the things that scare me and truly experience life. I am also going to start vlogging (video blogging) some of my travel adventures. I have already booked my first trip for 2018 and will be leaving the first week of February to head off to Panama City Florida with my sister. I am trying to make it a tradition that for every year my grandparents move south for the winter I go visit them and so far I have made that happen. This year I am so incredibly excited to get to share this experience with my little sister, who has never flown before. Also it is such a great experience getting to make new and unique memories with my grandparents. My sister will be my travel companion for the most part this year which I am really excited about, because for the most part we have the same interests. I am also really excited because this year I will be moving to Ankeny and buying a townhouse with my sister as well. I can’t wait for all the adventures to come and to really get to spend some time focusing and learning more about myself and not holding back from anything that I want to do. For those of you feeling stuck remember it is a new year filled with new opportunities and this is your year to take control and do all of those things that you have always wanted to do. Find a way. Do not let anything hold you back. So overall my main “resolutions” for this year are to:
- Focus on myself. This includes doing the things that I want to do, following my dreams, and taking the time to be my best self. Taking time for yourself is not selfish it is essential.
- Get healthy. I know that a common goal for the new year is to start working out and eating healthy and many people do not follow through with it, but last year I was really into working out and eating healthy and once my life started getting out of control busy and I let all that slip away. I really want to get back into my old routine and push myself to be better than ever. Also remembering that health is not all about being physically healthy, but being emotionally healthy as well. Both equally as important.
- Push myself outside my comfort zone. I really want to try all the things I have been too scared to do in the past and live in the “just do it” momentum.
- Be more honest. When I say this I do not mean that I am a liar. I am honest, but this year I don’t want to sugar coat the truth or not speak up for the things I stand for. No more holding back from how I am feeling and no more letting people walk all over me.Also I think being completely honest and open and sharing how I am feeling through writing is important. So many times people only share their best in life and through social media it is very easy to look at someone at think “they have the perfect life”. Nobody is perfect. Everybody is going through something. I am planning on sharing my vulnerabilities with everyone and hopefully help some else that is struggling with something similar.
- No holding back. This year I want to travel and pursue my dreams. I don’t want to settle and do something ordinary. I want to be unique and do all things that everybody has said I couldn’t. I have always thought about what is expected of me and what is the practical thing that I should be doing, but this year that changes. I’m not going to care what others think or what is the most realistic thing I should be doing. I am going to do what I want to do regardless of anything else. You only get one life to live. Don’t waste it.
2018 is the year. It is my year. The year that I start living life to the fullest and the year that is going to be a game changer. No more excuses. No more waiting until tomorrow You are not guaranteed a tomorrow. It is now or never.